Saturday, July 18, 2020

Midlife Demon Hunter

Midlife Demon Hunter is the much-anticipated return of Shannon Mayer’s The Forty Proof series. In book three, things pick up where they left off with Breena O’Rylee. She’s currently living in her grandmother’s old house now owned by the fae named Crash, Eric (the bigfoot), Suzy (the siren), Kinkly (the fairy), and Feish (the river maiden). Bree is out a job at the Hollows, but she’s determined to make her own way with her new group of friends. She just has to stay under the radar concerning the debt foisted upon by her sneaky snake of an ex-husband. Things are about to get crazy, as the dark forces in town are about to start taking direct steps toward bringing Bree down and trying to crush her beneath their heel. A “simple” job for a goblin comes along, keep some documents safe for three days. Sounds simple enough right? But honestly…when has anything been simple thus far? Exactly.

Midlife Demon Hunter is an absolute delight to read. The author is truly enjoying writing this series and I love how that shines through with each page that she writes. Bree is older than the average character written these days, but that is what makes me love her more. She’s older but she owns it. The dynamics between the characters are so well done and I promise you’ll be either laughing or choking back laughs if you’re in a place you can’t just let it rip. This book is full of unexpected moments and that helps it stay entertaining and engaging.

I like that we get scenes with the other characters and that the storyline doesn’t completely revolve around trying to create a romance element between Bree and Crash or Bree and Corb. I have to admit…I feel bad for Eric in one scene. I’ll admit that I giggled, but I just wanted to reach through the pages and give him a hug for his troubles. I have to admit that I love that Robert is found in quite a bit of this book. When he becomes more…” animated” it honestly piques my interest in the implications of this. Bree takes so many things in stride and her attitude is just an absolute blast. Another big thing that I have to point out is…the creepy house next door. It’s coming into play more with this book and I loved every second of it.

The author writes in more than a couple of twists with this book. My jaw literally dropped more than once. For those hoping for a bit of romance…and some “fun” with this book…yes. LOL! The author is a class act. She gives readers the opportunity to decide if they want to read the scene or not. I laughed at it, but since I refuse to miss out on a single thing I read on, but for those who prefer to “pass” you can do so and I promise you won’t miss any major parts of the story in doing so. Yes, that is how neatly the author wrote the book. I loved it and found it absolutely funny at the same time.

Now, I’m sure you’re thinking “Okay, so you liked so much of the book…now, what did you NOT like?” Honestly…the ending. It’s a crazy cliffhanger after a major revelation or two! I literally yowled “NOOOOOOOOOO!!!” I was NOT okay after that. LOL! I saw it was the end, but I tried to turn the page to read what happened next anyways. Okay, honestly I don’t mind cliffhangers. LOL! They make me anticipate the next book in the series and when you truly enjoy a series like this…the waiting can be nerve-wracking. Lol But I already know that it will be worth it.

I am rating this book 5 out of 5 stars. This book is a true page-turner and I love that I can tell how much the author is enjoying writing this book and working with Bree and the others as characters. There aren’t any awkward moments, dull moments, or parts that make you want to take a break from reading. This book is evenly paced but before you know it it’s over and you’re drumming your fingers wondering when the next book is coming. If you have read the previous books and enjoyed them as much as I have then I highly recommend that you grab this book and dive in. It’s a great addition and shouldn’t be passed up.



No comments:

Post a Comment