Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Shattered Princess

Shattered Princess is the first book in Avery Song’s and Veronica Agnus’ new supernatural spin-off series. These two authors combine forces yet again to give readers a fast-paced engaging story that introduces readers to Castalia – a dragon fae hybrid. Castalia’s first few years of life are far from the type that should be true for a young child, but an act of love for one how stood by her when she was at her loneliest moments will take her to a new realm and open new doors that she would have never thought possible. As she grows she will learn more about herself and the potential future that lies ahead. She will learn about the dangers that lurk around every corner for those who are deemed a threat to another’s quest for power and how she must fight to survive it all.

Shattered Princess is one of those books that quickly grabbed my attention and had me page-turning to the end. When I had to put this book down…I was most reluctant to do so because that’s just how much the authors captivated me. I love that I get to have Castalia has a young child at the beginning of this book. For me, it helps to set the stage for how she grows to be who she is as a teenager and then as an “adult” later on. I say “adult” because we all know that just because you reach the “age of adulthood” doesn’t automatically mean you are an “adult.” Just like “age of consent” doesn’t automatically mean you should go jumping off into bed with someone because you are now “of age.”

I should probably say at this point…this book probably won’t be for everyone. Even for those who love paranormal romances and enjoy these paranormal prison books, there may be some…unpleasant elements to this book that they will struggle with. Castalia endures a lot as a small child and one of the early characters makes it quite clear that they had darker intentions in mind when it comes to young Castalia. It’s mentioned throughout the story in different places so it’s not like readers can just read it one place, skip that part, and then it’s over.

There are a couple of time skips in this story, but I don’t mind as I know that it would have dragged the storyline down to have to read about her development years between six and 16 and then again between 16 and 18 years old. Overall, I enjoy Castalia as a character. She’s engaging and quite a bit of fun. The other characters – Cerberus, Loki, and Lucifer all pique my interest as well. While Loki is supposed to be the “main” love interest at the moment, I feel that he’s a bit lost in the storyline. I expected him to be mentioned more than he is, so sometimes I lose focus of him. Cerberus really reminds me of Hellsin from another Avery Song’s series. Hellsin is a mixed back for me, but Cerberus I gravitate more towards. He seems more fun and less…of that controlling, territorial vibe that Hellsin gives off.

I truly enjoyed this book, but it’s not without its personal drawbacks for me. I’m probably old-school for this, but a six-year-old talking about the age of consent to have sex and how at 16 it’s almost literally impossible for them to not have sex…it just comes off wrong/inappropriate for me. She’s a child. I know she’s been through a lot, but it just seems wrong for her to be saying something like that. The other thing that I didn’t really like was when she, in my opinion, goes to have a tantrum when she meets a certain character. I get that she was upset, but the outburst was 1) predictable (the characters tend to do so in each series) and 2) I felt it was childish. She asks for an explanation, and when one is attempted to be offered she screams over the other person, refuses to listen, then storms off. I was disappointed with her “sorry” when she learns the truth. “Sorry” really doesn’t cut it for an apology.

As I said earlier, I truly did enjoy this book and while I had some personal issues with the storyline and the characters, it didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the story. I am rating this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. If you are an avid fan/reader of these two authors then I highly encourage you to pick this book up. If you are sensitive to certain subjects that can be triggering then say either proceed with caution or pass on this book. The choice is yours. There is no true act of anything happening, but the suggestion of an attempt is there. I’m looking forward to reading the next book in this series as a variety of new characters make an appearance at the end and you can just tell that things are going to get really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment