Friday, June 12, 2020

Untamed: House of Berserkers Review


Untamed: House of Berserkers is the first book in Lacey Carter Andersen’s new academy series. Meet Kiera, the daughter of the Lord of the Winter Berserkers. She’s just graduated from their community college and the night is alive with celebrating and spirits. Kiera and a few of her friends head out to have some fun. Some say that seeing a specific spirit in the woods is an omen of death…but despite seeing it Kiera and her friends continue on to a human club intent on having a good time. Some omens should be heeded…
Untamed: House of Berserkers is an engaging paranormal reverse harem romance novel. Kiera is a petite Berserker. Only males go berserk, but it isn’t unheard of for a female to do so…it’s just rare. When Kiera suffers a loss close to her she loses all control and becomes one of the select few females who go berserk. What she doesn’t know is the danger that one act of losing control puts her in. In her rage she takes lives, and as punishment is sent to a “reform school” where most don’t leave…alive.
I have to say that Lacey Carter Andersen is one of my favorite paranormal authors and she does not disappoint with this book. We get a variety of shifters and a school with secrets and a darkness that hides nothing from those who are sent there. The teachers are less there to help the shifters reform and more to encourage them to lose control so that they can be put down. I love the twists and the darkness. Then add in a mad shifter who wishes to declare himself “King” of the Berserkers. He’d be a mad king and the ground would run red with blood. When he learns of Kiera he’s determined to have her no matter what it takes.
Kiera is a feisty character and I have to say that I really like her. The author gives me a nice variety of characters to be captivated by. I’m quick to piece together certain connections in the story. This doesn’t diminish my interest in the story, instead, it further fuels it. Each character has their unique backstory. With a couple of the characters, we get a good taste of what has shaped them into who they are now, but there are a couple that I think that there is still more to come.
There isn’t much that I can complain about concerning this book. There is one scene between Kiera and Drake that had me confused briefly. Drake is prompting Kiera to give him her hands so that he can share with her his memories. For a brief moment, I thought that I had missed a scene that had played out, but the author comes back and writes that in. I personally feel that it would have been better to lead with Kiera telling Drake that she doesn’t know him and him offering to do “Thought Sharing.” I think that it would have flowed better. For readers who don’t like cliffhangers…sorry, this book has one. Now, it’s not a major one that leaves you on the edge of your seat with suspense, but it is one that makes you want the next book in the series to learn what happens next.
At the end of the day, I am rating this book 5 out of 5 stars. This book is engaging from start to finish. The author, known for her steamy novels, does not disappoint with her steamy scenes in this book. Everything comes together to make this book hard to put down and a true delight to read. I can’t wait for the next book. I just hope that we don’t have to wait too long. If you are a fan of Lacey Carter Andersen then I encourage you to pick up this book. If you enjoy paranormal romance novels and are new to this author then I recommend this book. I truly think that you’ll enjoy it.



No comments:

Post a Comment