Friday, June 26, 2020

Night Hunter

Welcome to Harrowgate Prison…the place of where…once you’re in…there’s no way out…

Meet Six. She has amnesia, but she also has blood on her hands. No. Literally. She has blood on her hands because she’s taken a life. But she doesn’t remember who she is, where she came from, or why she’s covered in blood. Her memories have been locked away…but soon she’ll reclaim them and be set on the mission that she is there to accomplish…kill the Horseman. She’s been told – the Horseman…he’s evil. Vile. The man of the Coalition. Someone to be feared…someone who needs to be killed. But what’s a girl to do when her past comes back in a way that she never expected and marks her for death?

Night Hunter is the newest book in Katerina Martinez’s new prison paranormal romance series. The author drops readers into a familiar world with a new character under unique circumstances. The author weaves a storyline that pulls readers into the story quickly as the main character tries to figure out who she is, what she is, and why she is being accused of murder. She’s about to find out that there is a major divide between Outsiders and Natives. Outsiders are snatched up and usually locked away in Harrowgate Prison. We get reunited briefly with some familiar characters, but it is simply to set the stage for Six’s mission. I can’t help but admit that I whooped when I read the familiar names and the story branches off from one that I am already familiar with and creates something new.

I love the twists that the author writes in the story. You are presented with the initial storyline between the main character and her target and then the author introduces a secondary danger/twist that just as quickly hooks your attention and pulls you deeper into the story.  I find it both interesting and a bit humorous how the main character is tasked with “keeping her head down” but she manages to get caught up in trouble time and time again. But honestly, it’s not her fault.

My ONLY complaint about this storyline…the romance part. I felt that the romance angle in the story is…forced. When the two characters meet I was expecting there to be some sort of pull or draw between them. There isn’t so then I thought there was going to be some development…a build-up to create sparks. Instead, it’s more of a…”I can’t stand you but let’s get hot and sweaty” situation. I honestly felt that the steamy moment is less of “I can’t stand you” and more of a reaction to surviving a tense situation. For me…it feels a bit out of place. It feels more like the author felt the need to throw something in there to fulfill the romance angle of the story.

At the end of the day though, I honestly enjoyed this book. I’m eager to find out what happens in the next book. This book ends on a mild cliffhanger, but it still builds my anticipation for the next upcoming book. I’m hopeful that the romance angle will have a better build-up so that it can better satisfy the romance angle of the genre. For readers who enjoy this author, I’m sure that this book will be a satisfying read. I am rating this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment