Saturday, May 30, 2020

Bloodshed Academy: Year Two

Bloodshed Academy: Year Two is the second book in Jen L. Grey’s Bloodshed Academy Trilogy. Book two picks up where book one left off. At the end of book one, Raven had received a strange note from a group calling themselves “The Elites” wanting to recruit her into their group/organization.  The immediate future, however, has its secrets and issues that must be faced and Raven honestly isn’t ready for the truth to be truly revealed. A visit to her parents is in the cards, and then there is more trouble lurking at the Academy. A new year brings its own set of new problems…

Bloodshed Academy: Year Two immediately plunges readers in a year that literally flashes by and is over before you know it. I had mixed feelings about this book. As this is a paranormal romance, of course, there is quite a bit of romance between Raven and Rage. The author hints at romance budding between another couple, but keeps things shrouded, but gives readers hints here and there. Piece by piece the other half of this story comes together as well. Professor Shaw is a piece of this puzzle. The author intrigues me with this character and his class. When he was first introduced in the first book my curiosity was piqued as to his agenda. In this book, he begins to absolutely rub me the wrong way in more ways than one.

Cole is probably my favorite character in this series. He’s an absolute blast. In the first book, I thought that he was going to be one of those arrogant vampires that you end up having mixed feelings about, but he is such a gem. Yes, he pushes the envelope and doesn’t know the meaning of “boundaries” but that’s what makes him such a treasure. LOL! He’s a clown, and he has his moments of where he takes things a bit far, but there is no maliciousness in him when it comes to those he cares about.

In the first book, I really liked Raven. On one hand, she was the underdog character because of her issues and what she had been taught. In this book, however, she seems to lose herself a bit in my opinion. I understand that she has found her true mate and that the mate bond is strong, but I just felt that the “romance” got a bit too heavy-handed in places. There were moments of where I felt that Raven and Rage being all romance-y was out of place for that moment. They spend so much time together and I become disappointed in Raven because, in essence, she pushes Jess to the side. They’re supposed to be best friends, but it takes her a while to notice that something is going on with Jess. My biggest disappointment is when she lets the guys talk her into not going back to check on Jess when she says she will. I’d have honestly taken the “L” in training to check on my BEST friend.

One of the things that I don’t like in this book are the discrepancies. Raven is either not paying attention to things or she’s pretty forgetful. Now, you’ll get the feeling that Isadora isn’t too keen on Raven throughout the book, but you’ll understand in time. But Raven has several encounters with Isadora throughout the book, but I find it strange when Raven says/thinks that she’s never seen Isadora outside of her office. Not true. Then the notes Raven receives threaten “consequences” if she tells anyone about them, but…nothing happens. So that threat falls flat on its which honestly…is disappointing.

I’m going to wrap things up here so that I don’t drop any spoilers, but I’m rating this book 4 out of 5 stars. I felt that this book was less about year two at Bloodshed Academy and more about the “romance” between Raven and Rage. Most of the book is dedicated to them being wrapped up in each other with the truly interesting parts scattered here and there throughout the book but mostly at the beginning and near the end. It makes me curious how this series is going to be wrapped up in three books with the way the questions are piling up without the storyline being rushed. I’m hopeful that things will focus more on the Academy in the next book.


No comments:

Post a Comment