Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Girl Who Wasn't There

The Girl Who Wasn’t There is a truly gripping paranormal thriller by Nick Clausen that will have you on the edge of your seat. The author paints a story full of danger and suspense with a little girl being abducted by a paranormal creature intent o never letting her go while her big brother is intent on doing his best to find her and bring her home no matter the cost.

The Girl Who Wasn’t There is a full-length novel by Nick Clausen who knows his way around a good horror story. This book is no exception. The author begins the book with brother and sister, and you can quickly tell that something bad is going to happen. Now, I’ll admit that I thought that this was going to take an “It” turn, but it doesn’t. The story is broken into three parts and the first focuses on Andy and his struggles with the disappearance of his sister and the issues within the family. I have to say that for me, in the beginning, the storyline was a bit slow after Rebecca’s disappearance. But it’s understandable as the stage is being set a piece at a time. The author quickly hooks my attention back in with the book that Andy found at the library and when strange things begin to happen with it.

I’m not even going to lie…when the mother begins to have a breakdown, I was very much alarmed. On one hand, as a parent, I can very easily understand PART of her reaction, but then I do feel that she crosses the line. I say that, but at the same time, I love how true to life the author makes the characters because you can easily see this story playing out in real life. The supernatural/paranormal aspect comes in more than one form and I love it.

When the author transitions the story to Rebecca takes a darker twist and becomes truly hard to put down. I love and applaud the determination that Rebecca has. I like that the author brings a bit of sunshine to this dark tale. It comes in an unexpected moment, but it is truly sweet and made me smile. Now, while this spot of sunshine comes to lighten the story, it doesn’t last forever.

I have to say that I really do enjoy the dark and the twisted and this book delivers on all points. The author does an excellent job covering all of his bases with this book. You get the perspective of how things happen from both of the main characters in the story and you get the tragic story of “the girl who wasn’t there.”

I truly enjoyed this book and I look forward to more from this author as this is the first book in his collection of paranormal thrillers. I am rating this book 5 out of 5 stars. Be forewarned, there is violence in this book, but the author refrains from becoming overly graphic with any of it, so I don’t think that it will negatively impact most readers. If you enjoy a gripping thriller with paranormal aspects then this is a good book to pick up.



No comments:

Post a Comment