Monday, May 18, 2020

In My Dreams Review

In My Dreams is the third volume installment of T.A. Moorman's Underlayes series. This short fast-paced story drops readers into an already pre-established world and whisks you forward with a storyline about the past and the present colliding.

In My Dreams is the third book in the Underlayes series and can be read as a stand-alone, though I do encourage readers to read the previous connecting books as there are a couple instances of where I didn't fully know what was going on. I recommend that you buckle up because this book flies by fast.

The author drops readers into a bedroom with two characters, one whom readers will quickly figure out is a female. She is having nightmares, but they are more than just that but she doesn't remember. But it won't be long before the truth and reality come to light with a chance encounter when she goes out with friends.

This book was fun to read, with a couple of shocking scenes (club scene and acid rain) and you get a steamy scene near the beginning that gets repeated in the middle of the book. The author gives readers a bit of backstory with Rena and how she came to be a vampire, but I would have loved more depth. You get a clue that Rena's mate, Ricardo, knows that something is going on since at the end of the shower scene the author writes in that she feels a prick in her hip and then all goes black. With that little tidbit in my mind, my eyebrows shot up. I began to question...what really happened in the past? Was Rena actually snatched and then Ricardo just happened to find her? Well...just wait for it.

I personally could have used more plot building. I feel like a huge chunk of it is missing with this book. Where is the build-up? Where is the drama? Things for me feel rushed. I mean...shouldn't Rena have been asking Ricardo about the prick that she felt? I'm disappointed that there weren't more questioned asked or that the author chooses to exclude that from the story. I felt that these missing pieces would have helped to flesh out the story and make it more fulfilling than it is.

As is, while this book is a quick read and enjoyable on its face, it feels unfulfilling for me so I am rating it 3.5 out of 5 stars. The club scene left me confused initially as to the gender of the character speaking, and then some scenes sped by too quickly, not giving me enough and I didn't understand the repeating of an entire chapter. I will say this if you enjoy paranormal romance and quick reads then this book is a good fit for you.

All opinions stated in this review are solely my own and have not been influenced in any way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment