Monday, January 17, 2022

Girl Island Spotlight Review


 Girl Island is a standalone fiction novel by Kate Castle. This book explores the question – what would happen if a group of teenage girls were stranded on a deserted island? Will they come together for the sake of survival, or will petty mean girl attitudes threaten any hope of leaving this place alive?

Girl Island is the first book that I have read by Kate Castle, but this dystopian style story is one that really captured my attention and kept me page-turning to the end. The author introduced me to young Ellery Holmes. Not too long ago she lost her father to a medical emergency. Her bright shining moment in her life overshadowed by his unexpected loss. Now, the time has come for her to go on a trip with a group of other teens but she has no idea of how her survival skills will be put to the test. Let’s be real, survival was never part of the original plan for this trip.

While I’ve never read “Lord of the Flies” or watched the movie “Mean Girls” I’ve read enough books with bullies and I feel that these characters would accurately fit into that particular book and movie. Whitney comes off as really insecure and having some perverse desire to be in control and let people know she’s there. You almost feel sorry for her to an extent...almost. While the girls are originally stranded with a couple of guys, I’m honestly not sorry when they disappear. Trust me, you won’t be either. The guys were knuckleheads at best and didn’t contribute much. LOL! Ellery is really an interesting character, but I appreciate the flashbacks that answer some questions that arise. While I had to wait for some answers, the wait is well worth it.

As you get a healthy dose of “disrespectful brat” you also get quite a bit of tragedy as well. One tragedy is a bit predictable since it’s what lands them in their situation, but I had hope for the others. So when more loss makes itself known throughout the story I can’t help but feel a bit of heartbreak.

I really can’t say that this book has a “happy ending” it does have a suitable ending. Not everything gets spelled out as to what the final results of it all are, but the author leaves readers to fill in the blanks for themselves. Which, to be honest, I’m perfectly okay with. The truth always comes out.

I truly did enjoy this book, and quickly devoured it, so I’m satisfied with rating this book a well-earned 5 out of 5 stars. This book is packed with danger, some romance, engaging characters, and a gripping storyline. If you enjoy YA fiction with a touch of dystopian then this is a good book to pick up and an author worth checking out if you’re looking for something/someone new.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment