Saturday, October 23, 2021

Wolf Trials Review

 


 Wolf Trials is the first book in Mila Young’s and R.A. Johns’s new paranormal romance novel, The Shadowmate series and you are not going to want to miss this book. Wynter is a hybrid wolf, part human- part wolf. She’s returning home for the first time since her father swept her away from the pack. His passing has her coming back home, but she’s not prepared for what is waiting for her. Her mother is the Alpha of three packs: the Sun Wolves, the Moon Wolves, and the Shadow Wolves. A dangerous cold-called the Deep is coming and the Fearless believe that the time has come to bring in a new Alpha in the hopes that returning to the old ways will help them face what is coming. Wyn’s mother has no intentions of relinquishing the power she holds. While Wyn must participate despite being “weak” her mother makes it clear that even if Wyn fails to win, that she will be mated to the winner. The Wolf Trials are nothing to sneeze at, and those initiates chosen will find out just how dangerous the trials and each other truly are.

Wolf Trials swept me away the minute I started reading this book. Wyn acts more human than wolf and it’s because of the fact that she has been sickly most of her life. I’m sad that she lost her father, but learning about her mother is like cold water to the face. It’s a shock. Her mother craves power and the authors pull no punches in letting readers know that she will do what she feels she must to maintain her hold on it. I like that the authors introduce readers to Ri first. He’s the dark horse so to speak of the two wolves who capture Wyn’s attention. Ri has a dark past and I’d love to dig deeper and find out exactly what happened to him and his sister.

The dynamics between the three packs are really interesting. The Shadow Wolves come off as outcasts or those who live...in the shadows. LOL! Then the Moon Wolves are the servants to the Sun Wolves, who are top dogs. I’m curious as to how this arrangement came to be. Each of the packs’ heads is different, but the two packs share a common theme – a craving for power. I look at Flint and I know that he’s going to be a problem sooner rather than later and that if Hunter goes against his plans (which I’m betting he will) that there will be dire consequences. I’m curious as to how Hunter is going to handle that because right now he’s blind to the looming danger in that direction.

My only real complaint about this book is – Wyn. Wyn is against participating in the Wolf Trials because she knows that it’s what her mother wants. When her mother threatens to put another younger wolf in her place, she balks but agrees. But then she turns around and thinks that her running away will help the situation. My irritation immediately pops up and asks, “On what planet is this a good idea?” Did she think that her mother wouldn’t turn around and do exactly what she has already threatened? Did she think that running away would save her friend from being the sacrificial lamb in her place? It makes Wyn look like a selfish child who doesn’t really take in the consequences of her actions. Now, don’t get me wrong, I despise the mother, but she has her role to play in all of this and is part of the driving force for this book. I’m more focused on Wyn because 1) she is the main female character and 2) she claims to care about this younger girl but then turns around and through her actions says she’s willing to put this girl’s life at risk so that she can run back to the human world. It’s disappointing.

Now! This book is seriously a page-turner and I absolutely devoured it. I like the beginnings of the romance between Wyn, Ri, and Hunter. I’m really hoping that this will be a reverse harem romance because my brain has already run off with what has happened thus far. Not going to drop any spoilers, you’re just going to have to read the book to find out what I’m hinting at. I’m rating this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. I’m taking off half a star for Wyn’s attempt at running away. If you love upper YA paranormal romance novels then this book is one to check out. The ending leaves things with a really interesting twist and I can’t wait to read the next book in this series. I will neither confirm nor deny whether or not I page-turned through the ending pages to find a tidbit to tide me over until the next book. LOL!  


No comments:

Post a Comment