Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Deck the Donuts Review

 


Deck the Donuts is the sixth book in Ginger Bolton’s Deputy Donut cozy mystery series and is the perfect holiday-themed novel to get you in the holiday spirit!

While this book is part of a series, it can be, in my opinion, be read as a stand-alone and be thoroughly enjoyed. Though I will warn you, that if you’re like me and have missed out on the delectable previous novels, you’re going to want to read them all to truly enjoy the full storyline that is weaved together with the connection that all of the characters have established a page at a time.

It’s Christmastime in Fallingbrook up in snowy Wisconsin, and everyone is excited. But some passengers on a tour bus are about to have their Christmas derailed just a bit with a scary accident that leaves them stranded, and the driver, later that night, murdered. Alcohol is suspected to be the culprit, but who was drinking? The driver? The tour guide? Both? They both deny it, but is there more to the story than what they are telling? When the driver is found dead, the questions are – who did it and why? Get ready for some twists as suspects present themselves and seem like viable candidates, but just wait for the proof to rise and the truth will surprise you.

Deck the Donuts is the first book that I have read by Ginger Bolton and let me just say, I was absolutely delighted with this novel. I loved this book so much that I fully intend to go back and grab the rest. They are that good! This book is packed with lots for readers to enjoy. Emily is a clever sleuth, but I love that she’s not too dogmatic about her part in the investigation. Of course, her husband used to be a cop, so she’s familiar with most if not all of the cops in Fallingbrook. But I appreciate her tact when she is asking questions and trying to figure out exactly what happened starting with the tour bus accident.

This book is so well-balanced. It was a little slow for me in the beginning, and that might be because of my lack of familiarity with the characters, but like donut dough proofing, as it begins to develop and rise I found myself eagerly page-turning to get to the good stuff. The author gives readers a nice dose of everyday life as the investigation progresses, and in some instances stalls. When one lead falls through, a little digging reveals another that once again begins to move things forward. You get a nice amount of a variety of characters that help bring this book to delightful life. The author tempts you with thoughts of deliciously decadent treats that will have your mouth watering as you read and craving a donut or two. As a baker myself, I’m eager to look up some recipes for some of the treats talked about in this novel so that I can make them or create my own recipes. LOL! Yes, they sound that good!

Now, I pride myself on figuring out who the bad guy is before the big reveal, but the author kept me buried in drift with the way so many could have had a motive. It’s not until nearly the end that the truth is revealed! Let me tell you, I was caught off guard! LOL! With each potential suspect, I was sorting through the clues. With a couple of the characters, I was sure of their guilt in some form or another with certain things. With one character in particular though I was so sure that their motive was it, the truth is always something different. I have to admit I was more than a little delighted with how the author kept me on my toes and revealed who the killer is and they admitted their story.

When I say that this book is packed, I mean it is packed! You get the small-town feel of Fallingbrook. You get the holiday feel of the season with the snow, the celebration, the lights, and the decorations. You get the sweet hints of romance waiting to bloom that has slowly been developing and is now waiting for just the right moment. You get the mystery that will keep you page-turning, and the delightful donuts that will tempt you as the author include some tasty recipes at the end of her novel.

This book is so much like a tasty donut. The appearance is beautiful, but since it’s new, you’re hesitant to take that first taste. What if you don’t like it? What if it’s not as good as it looks? Then you take that first taste, and you're taken by surprise. It’s so good! But regrettably, so like when you only have the one donut, you have to restrain yourself from devouring it in two bites, so you draw out the donuts demise, but savoring each bite until that last morsel passes your lips. This describes Ginger Bolton’s novel perfectly. I enjoyed the book like the tasty treat that it is, but I’m sad that it’s over. LOL! The good news? There are more books to be discovered, tasted, and enjoyed and that is exactly what I intend to do.

I am rating this book a well-deserved 5 out of 5 stars. I could not get enough of this book. Deck the Donuts is the perfect holiday novel to get you in the spirit for Christmas and to have you craving some delicious donuts as well. Packed with holiday cheer, delicious treats, a cuddly kitty, some sweet romance, and a tantalizing mystery this book is sure to keep you page-turning. You’ll enjoy this book from beginning to end whether you’ve read the entire series to this point, or just finding this author for the first time. If you have read the previous books, you’re not going to want to miss this one. If you are looking for a delightful holiday novel, but are new to the series, dive in! You’ll find lots to enjoy that will have you coming back for more. I look forward to reading more from this author in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment