Thursday, August 18, 2022

When Monsters Lie Review Spotlight


 When Monsters Lie is the first book in Debbie Cassidy’s The Monsters Among Us series. This author is well known for her engaging novels that will leave you begging for more, and this book is no exception. Prepare to have your mind blown, be pulled to the edge of your seat, and your jaw on the floor.

Rue lives in a world that has been destroyed by monsters. That’s all she’s ever known, but something worse is coming. A shake-up that no one could have seen coming, and she will lose...everything. But deep inside of her is a secret that even she doesn’t know. But as she fights for survival with these monsters, the truth will begin to come to light piece by piece.

When Monsters Lie is the first book that I have read by Debbie Cassidy, and I absolutely ate this book up. Fun fact about this book – as you read you’re going to do one of two things: either 1) you’re going to devour this book in one setting or 2) if you absolutely MUST put it down this book will taunt your brain with the ever running question “what happens next?!”

As you read this book, right from the beginning the author hits the ground running. It’s going to be dark, twisted, and packed with horror. If you love those elements then you’re going to love this book. I got one tiny taste of that horror and I was off like a shot. You’ll be eager for more, too. Some authors like to tease you with monsters and then only give you little nibbles of that twisted darkness. Not this author. She gives you two heaping giant scoops of tasty twisted darkness and horror and tosses in an extra scoop for good measure. It’s absolutely awesome.

Reading this book will pull you to the edge of your seat. You’re not going to be able to get enough of the storyline or characters. Rue is an engaging character. She’s smart, sassy, and knows exactly when the “right” moment is to be mouthy. I’m not too keen on overly mouthy characters with a majorly smart mouth, but Rue really fits the bill for this book. She’s pretty much perfect. She does have her minor flaws, but nothing major enough to make me want to throw something hard and heavy at her. LOL!

There are a lot of secrets in this book. Some secrets are revealed while others are kept in the dark to give us readers something to look forward to. I’m all for it and I know you will be, too. One secret the author will tease you with the darkness of its truth but quickly rushes forward so that you can’t think on it too long. No, she wants to save that for when you’re done with this book. Hey, if you’re still thinking about this book long after you’re done then the author has done her job and done it well. But I know that I’m on to something with one particular secret, because when you put it all together...it makes sense.

The variety of monsters in this book will leave you more than satisfied. The author’s imagination in creating these creatures – mwah! Chef’s kiss! It’s perfect! I love that this author isn’t afraid to go deep into that dark well of horror and bring out some truly sinister creatures. I love that there are so many different creepy crawlers that you’re not going to see coming. Just when you think you’re safe...don’t think you are...because you’re not. Trust me, the author believes STRONGLY in the “element of surprise.” I think my jaw became a bit unhinged the number of times it dropped to the floor. LOL!

There isn’t much to go on when it comes to the “steamy” element of this book. I’m not going to complain too much though, because there might be some coming in later books. There are a couple of sex scenes, but it’s more of “use your imagination” than giving you the steamy details that some of us have come to hope for.

When Monsters Lie is truly a page-turner from beginning to end. I couldn’t put this book down, and I know that you’ll be devouring it just as quickly as I did. You’ll be rereading it again soon enough just to go back and savor this book like it deserves. The ending will leave you with your jaw on the floor and a clear revelation in your mind. It’s a cliffhanger ending, but nothing that will really have you ready to throw your reader at the wall. LOL! Trust me, there were a couple of moments in this book where I briefly feared the author would leave me hanging until the next. Thankfully, that’s not the case. LOL! But you’ll still be eager for the next book because things are getting intense.

I’m over the moon for this book, and this author has absolutely gained a new fan and avid reader. While I wait for book two in this series, I think that I’ll go and dig into their other series to tide me over. For avid readers of paranormal novels with a nice mix of horror grab this book. You’re not going to want to miss out on it.


I’m rating this book 5 out of 5 stars. Exceptionally written and I can’t wait for more.  


As I was reading this book, I absolutely KNEW without a shadow of a doubt that this book just simply had to be featured on my blog. I ate this book up, and I know that if you enjoy any of the elements featured in this story you're not going to want to miss out on it either. 

Debbie Cassidy is absolutely one of those authors that you are not going to want to miss out on. So, on that note: Happy Release Day to the author and When Monsters Lie. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment