Thursday, August 20, 2020

Cursed: Half-Breed Prison

Cursed is the continuation of Jen L. Grey’s The Half-Breed Prison duology. Prepare to be reunited with Lexy, Aaron, Knox, Deissy, and the rest of the characters that you came to be familiar with in the Bloodshed Academy series. A lot is going to be happening between Lexy and her to two admirers, and the fight is going to be coming to a head as well, but not without there being some loss…and a few revelations along the way.
When I started this duology spin-off I was thrilled to be reunited with old characters and to meet some new characters as well. This book continues forward in that vein with Lexy being reunited with her birth parents and the planning process beginning as to how to take down the Elites who are intent on using Lexy to their own twisted end. This book is really fast-paced with how things go. Months go by in the blink of an eye! Cole is of course up to his usual antics with running his mouth and pretty much-putting people’s lives in danger with his crazy driving. I couldn’t help but laugh at him. Lexy is definitely her father’s daughter though you’ll see quite often that she has a hard time facing THAT particular mirror/reflection of herself. I won’t reveal the twists but I have to admit that I enjoyed a couple of them as they were quite unexpected. 
For me, this book wasn’t as good as the first one. I liked that there is more variety of the characters, but I just didn’t like that Lexy and the other half-breeds acted like brats a lot of the time. They’re all adults, but they don’t always act like it. I didn’t like them always wanting to get snotty with the older ones because they didn’t see eye to eye on everything or the things that they felt that they were right on. I felt that Lexy’s attitude and mouth were really a problem with this book. She likes to run her mouth and never really thinks about others most of the time. She gets snotty with Aaron completely disregarding that she and he are not the same. For him to view things differently and in an odd light is to be understandable to a degree. 
Now, I understand that this spin-off was planned as a duology and kept that way, but I felt that this book ended up being rushed for the ending. There isn’t a big climactic battle like I was expecting to happen. Things happen in a rush and before you know it it’s all over. It was a bit disappointing for me. This has been building for over several books so for things to close the way that they do just leaves me feeling like it’s not truly finished. Maybe it’s not, and there will be more, but for now, it just feels unfinished. 
All in all, I’m rating this book 4 out of 5 stars. I like the development of the older characters and how MOST of them have matured. I like Cole as he is because honestly…he’s a hoot and he has his more mature moments. Hopefully, Lexy can grow herself and stop being so judgmental especially of him because seriously Lexy…pot…meet kettle, hun. I enjoyed the first book more, but this book is good to learn the truth behind how things came to be in the first place. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment